Few things are as delicious as a homemade cake. This delicious cake is flavored with cocoa and espresso, and then topped with smooth, Irish creme frosting. The whole cake will remind you of Irish coffee with its rich flavor and soft, luscious texture.
Ingredients (for the cake):
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup espresso or very strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 eggs
Ingredients (for the frosting):
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish creme liqueur
- 1/2 stick softened butter
- a pinch of salt
Ingredients (for garnish and decoration):
- 1/4 cup chocolate curls
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and prepare a 9 x 13-inch pan by greasing it with a thin layer of shortening.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until evenly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, melted butter, milk, vanilla and espresso.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Then, using a hand mixer, mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl down several times during mixing.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased pan.
- Place the cake in the oven, and bake for 30 - 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean. If it does not, bake the cake for a few more minutes and then test it again.
- Place the entire cake, pan and all, on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting. This will take about 2 hours.
- When the cake is cool, combine the powdered sugar, Irish creme, butter and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix on low until the sugar is moistened, and then beat on high for 3 - 4 minutes or until super light and fluffy.
- Spoon the frosting onto the cake (still in the pan) and spread it evenly across the top.
- Decorate the top of the cake as desired with the chocolate curls and chocolate-covered coffee beans.
- Slice and serve as desired.
Expect this recipe to serve about 12. This delicious cake will stay fresh for about 3 days if you cover it and keep it on the counter.
For more great coffee recipes, coffee-based recipes, and coffee-themed foods, contact a local food supplier.